As your baby bump grows, you quickly realize that it’s not the only thing getting bigger and bigger. So do your cravings. Or at least for most people. When you’re pregnant, you might start to crave everything from chocolate to sardines, romcoms to have a good cry to, and to just having a really good night’s sleep. And you should treat yourself! You’re growing a little life inside your belly.
There’s one thing that a lot of pregnant women want, but seldom know if they should get. Or, doesn’t even know exists. The pregnancy pillow. Do I really need one? Is it worth it? Does it make any difference?
Why you should treat yourself a pregnancy pillow
What is a pregnancy pillow used for?
A pregnancy pillow is designed to accommodate the contours of a pregnant body whilst giving support to areas where it’s needed the most. It’s most commonly used to sleep with and comes in many different shapes and sizes. The pillow can not only help you fall asleep but keep you asleep for longer periods of time. It’s also the perfect companion in your sofa or chair and helps you find the perfect position when it seems impossible.
Benefits of pregnancy pillows
A pregnancy pillow isn’t always on top of the purchase list. However, it’s not a luxury item. It’s a lifesaver. It’s an item that can be really beneficial both during pregnancy and after as well. Using a pregnancy pillow can give you more energy, stamina, and flexibility throughout the pregnancy. Here’s a list of benefits of a pregnancy pillow (and great arguments as to why to get one):
- Keeps the neck, back, hips, and spine aligned during sleep. This helps prevent back pain and keeps your posture in check too.
- Gives support and helps you comfortably sleep on the side. This position is better for you and for the baby in the belly. It enhances blood circulation, enabling a good blood supply to the fetus.
- Reduces common pregnancy pains. The pillow can help you get rid of heartburn, nasal congestion, back pain, and leg cramps.
- Better sleep and more rest. Getting a good night’s sleep is important for your health and helps you better cope with all the bodily changes and challenges you meet as a soon-to-be mom.
- More comfortable Netflix moments. The worst thing imaginable (almost) might be to curl up on the sofa in front of your favorite movie and then struggle to find a comfortable position. Here, the pregnancy pillow will come to your rescue.
- Can be used for a long period of time. Not sure what to do with pregnancy pillow after pregnancy? Keep it! Your postpartum body will thank you for it. Having the pillow as support when you’re sore and tender is really comforting.
- Helps you breastfeed. A lot of new mothers can find it hard to breastfeed in the beginning. A pregnancy pillow can give you the possibility to find a good, comfortable position for both you and your baby. With the Najell Pregnancy Pillow, you can either choose to breastfeed with the longer pillow or one of the two included nursing pillows in different sizes.
When should you start using a pregnancy pillow?
There’s no “right answer” in when to start using a pregnancy pillow. Some people get one the minute they know they’re pregnant and then some wait until the very end when the baby bump feels huge. Others use it even though they’re not pregnant, just because it’s so cozy and comfortable. However, most pregnant women start feeling the need for extra support around week 20, when the belly starts to expand and it gets harder to sleep in a good position.
The Najell Pregnancy Pillow – Baby Product of the Year in the Nurse/sleep category
The Najell Pregnancy Pillow is a unique and flexible pregnancy pillow with two integrated nursing pillows. It’s easily adjusted by tightening the knot, allowing it to be softer or harder when needed. Furthermore, its soft filling and shape is designed to accommodate the contours of a pregnant body, relieving the legs and back. Inside are two smaller nursing pillows that create the longer pregnancy pillow, offering the baby support post birth. The Najell Pregnancy Pillow was awarded Baby Product of the Year in the nurse/sleep category 2021 by The Swedish toy & Baby Association.